We use Jigsaw as a whole school approach to deliver personal, social and health education, emotional literacy, social skills and spiritual development.
There is a strong emphasis on emotional literacy and nurturing mental health as the necessary underpinnings for learning with a unique mindfulness approach in every session and throughout/ this approach enables children to identify their feelings and emotions and regulate their own behaviour from the start.
There are six Jigsaw puzzles (half termly units) designated so that the whole school can study the same learning themes at the same time, each group at its own level. The Puzzles are sequential and developmental throughout each academic year.
1. Being me in my world includes understanding in my place in the class, school and global community
2. Celebrating difference includes anti-bullying (cyber and homophobic bullying included) and diversity work.
3. Dreams and Goals includes goal-setting, aspirations for yourself and the world and working together.
4. Healthy me includes drug and alcohol education, self-esteem and confidence as well as healthy lifestyle choices
5. Relationships includes understanding friendship, family and other relationships, conflict resolution and communication skills
6.Changing me this includes sex and relationships education in the context of coping positively with change
Jigsaw teaches children to become aware of their thoughts and feelings, as they happen, helping them to concentrate, focus and regulate their emotional states.
The Calm Me time at the beginning of each lesson develops mindfulness using breathing techniques, awareness exercises and visualisations.