Foreign languages are a compulsory subject at Key Stage 2 (Year 3 upwards). However, we start our pupils learning french in Year 1.
Pupils are taught to:
- Listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- Engage in conversations, ask and answer questions, express opinions and respond to those of others, and seek clarification and help.
- Read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple writing.
- Broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary.
- Write phrases from memory, and adapt these to create new sentences, expressing their ideas clearly.
- Describe people, pleases, things and actions in speech and writing.
Year 1 and 2
- Moi (all about me)
- Jeux et chansons (games and songs)
- On fait la fete (celebrations)
- Les quatre amis (the four friends)
- Ca pousse! Growing things
Year 3 and 4
- On y va (all aboard)
- L'argent de poche (pocket money)
- Raconte-moi une historie! (tell me a story)
- Vive le sport! (our sporting lives)
- Le Carnaval des Animaux (The carnival of Animals)
- Quel temps fait-il? (What's the weather like?)
Updated Sept 18